Wireless network connection of a Dell Inspiron 530 with Ubuntu 8.04

Recently I bought an Desktop PC Inspiron 530 from Dell with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed to replace the very old Window PC that my parents used. I immediately upgraded the system to Ubuntu 8.04 and installed a subset of the additional software mentioned in my last post.

In addition to this, I wanted to use a wireless network connection to avoid cables from the router to the PC (both are in different rooms). Therefore I bought a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter F5D7050 v4002 uk (USB ID 050d:705c) together with the Dell PC. It was disappointing that the included documentation only explained how to install and use the Network Adapter in a Mircrosoft environment, so that I had to search the Web about how to install wireless network adapters in Ubuntu. I found links such as https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo, http://linuxwiki.de/LinuxWireless or http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WLAN. According to these pages, wireless still isn't always trivial using Linux and therefore I expected that command line editing and adjusting of configuration files would be required. I was very positively surprised, that instead of that, this Belkin Network Adapter worked right out of the box together with the GNOME Network Manager. I tested WPA (TKIP) encryption connected to my Speedport W 701V as well connection without encryption to a Fonera (see also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported#preview). The GNOME Network Manager provides pain-free networking as expected if somebody is used to wireless tools from Windows or Mac OS X. The only function I was missing was the GNOME Network remembering wireless networks with invisible SSID's. Instead of that I either had to make the SSID visible or - if the SSID is invisible - to be forced to connect manually each time via "Connect to other wireless network".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatically mount a ntfs hard disk at login in Ubuntu 8.04

How to make screenshots and screencasts easily in Mac OS X?

Use Western Digital WDH1NC10000E My Book World Edition 1TB NAS network drive as backup destination for time machine on Mac OS X 10.5