Kubuntu KDE 4

After reading the following article about the status of the GNOME project http://wingolog.org/archives/2008/06/07/gnome-in-the-age-of-decadence I decided to check out the KDE 4 desktop by installing the "kubuntu-kde4-desktop" package (via Adept or apt-get) and I have to admit: I really like the new KDE 4 desktop. A lot of improvements have been made compared with its predecessor. I especially like the new version of the image viewer Gwenview and Okular, KDE4's document viewer. Check out http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/applications.php for more details.
Unfortunately, the KDE 4 desktop seem not to be stable enough for production use. At least I experienced some crashes that required reboot via "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring". In addition, I missed some functionality. Therefore I can't recommend switching to KDE4 right now. But I decided to give it another try as soon as KDE4.1 is available from the Ubuntu repositories in the hope that the missing functions are available and the system is more stable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatically mount a ntfs hard disk at login in Ubuntu 8.04

How to make screenshots and screencasts easily in Mac OS X?

Use Canon CanScan LiDE 60 under Ubuntu 8.04