Restoring my MacBook after HD failure

Two weeks ago my MacBook wouldn't start because of a hard disk defect. As the Macbook still was within the warranty period, I took it to the nearest Apple authorized service provider A.S.T.I. GMBH AGENTUR FÜR SYSTEME (that I have found via http://www.apple.com/de/buy/locator/index.html), where they replaced the HD. At home, I restored my Macbook HD content (that furtunately had been regularly backed up via Time Capsule) with the following steps (based on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1177):
  1. Install the system from the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard DVD
  2. Restart the Mac
  3. Connect Time Capsule via an Ethernet cable with the Macbook
  4. Click "From a Time Machine backup or other disk." when asked if you want to transfer information from another Mac or volume (in the Do You Already Own a Mac?" window).
  5. Click Continue
  6. Select Time Capsule when it appears as a Backup Volume and click Continue
  7. The Macbook starts to check the Time Machine backup and the "Transfer Your Information" window appears. Leave all available accounts, Application, Files and folders, network and other settings selected (if you want to restore the complete former HD content; otherwise select what you want to restore) and click Transfer. This starts the restore process.
Everything went extremely smooth and much better than before with my Windows XP Desktop PC (see: Harddisk crash - lessons learned). Time Capsule has been proven worth its value for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatically mount a ntfs hard disk at login in Ubuntu 8.04

How to make screenshots and screencasts easily in Mac OS X?

Use Western Digital WDH1NC10000E My Book World Edition 1TB NAS network drive as backup destination for time machine on Mac OS X 10.5