After reading the following article about the status of the GNOME project http://wingolog.org/archives/2008/06/07/gnome-in-the-age-of-decadence I decided to check out the KDE 4 desktop by installing the "kubuntu-kde4-desktop" package (via Adept or apt-get) and I have to admit: I really like the new KDE 4 desktop. A lot of improvements have been made compared with its predecessor. I especially like the new version of the image viewer Gwenview and Okular, KDE4's document viewer. Check out http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/applications.php for more details. Unfortunately, the KDE 4 desktop seem not to be stable enough for production use. At least I experienced some crashes that required reboot via " R aising E lephants I s S o U tterly B oring" . In addition, I missed some functionality. Therefore I can't recommend switching to KDE4 right now. But I decided to give it another try as soon as KDE4.1 is available from the Ubuntu repositories in the hope that ...
Ubuntu 8.04 automatically detects connected hard drives (such as a second drive with an NTFS partition). NTFS hard drives are not mounted automatically by default in Ubuntu 8.04. Instead they need to be mounted manually e.g. via clicking onto them in Nautilus. Sometimes it is desirable that such a NTFS drive will be automatically mounted at login (e.g. when you want to run a script that uses these drives at startup). This can be done via: 1) Make a mounting point for that drive sudo mkdir /media/Backup_HD Note: Replace "Backup_HD" with whatever name you like. 2) Edit /etc/fstab: sudo gedit /etc/fstab 3) Add the following text in fstab: /dev/sdb1 /media/Backup_HD ntfs defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1 Note: Replace "/media/Backup_HD" with the name you choose in the 1st step. Furthermore, replace "/dev/sdb1" with the actual value for the hard disk you want to mount automatically. Note: If you don't know what value you should use instead of "/dev/sdb1...
Two weeks ago I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex). The upgrade went nice and smoothly and I really like the new version (especially the improvments made in KDE). The only problem I realized afterwards was that the Skype audio settings wasn't working correctly by default. Some manual adjustments were necessary. After I have done these adjustments already several times (two PC's, GNOME and KDE), I thought it might make sense to write them down. Maybe these settings that worked for my PC's will be helpful somebody else. adjust the skype sound device options as shown in the following screenshot: adjust the Ubuntu audio settings (Volume control) according to the next 4 screenshots:
Comments
Post a Comment